IOLs (intraocular lenses) are soft, foldable lenses that are inserted to replace the natural lens that developed the cataract. These lenses are also an option for some patients who may not have cataracts but who want to reduce or eliminate the need for glasses with a procedure called Refractive Lens Exchange. It is the same procedure as cataract surgery except that the lens removed is still mostly clear.
There are different kinds of IOLs to choose from:
- Monofocal IOLs are the traditional single-focus lenses designed to provide distance vision
- Multifocal IOLs are multiple-focus lenses providing for near, intermediate and distance vision
- Toric IOLs are similar to traditional monofocal lenses, but also treat astigmatism
- Monovision is not one lens but a system of varied-power lenses involving both eyes
- Combined Technologies where you and your physician may choose a combination of lenses to create a personalized treatment plan for your unique visual needs.
Whichever IOL you choose, you can be sure that cataract surgery is one of the safest and most effective procedures performed today. While laser cataract surgery is not currently covered by insurance, its benefits outweigh that fact for many patients.
We are happy to consult with you to provide the very best solution for your overall vision needs.